Sunday, April 6, 2014

Horrible Histories

We've been on vacation in Florida for the last week, hence the recent silence.  Here's a wee post I wrote just before we left for our trip.  Normal blog operations will be resumed as soon as possible! 

I'm proud to be both Scottish and American, but let's face it, American history just isn't as AWESOME or as old as Scottish history :)  Unfortunately, most history books can be pretty dull, but I want my kids to know as much about Scotland and it's history as possible.  CBBC's Horrible Histories is a seriously fantastic, funny and interesting way to teach your kids not just about Scottish history, but about the Tudors, Victorians, Celts, Egyptians, Romans... you name it.  My kids are now experts on William Wallace thanks to this:



If you watched the video, I guarantee you'll be singing it for the rest of the day :)

My kids love being 50% American & 50% Scottish.  I mean, how cool is it to be half Cut-throat Celt? (This is what Horrible Histories call the Celts).  They could now tell you more about Kings and Queens than I can, I always get confused by who is a I, II, III, IV - you know what I mean.  Videos like this make it a bit easier:



Horrible Histories is genius.  The husband and me like to sit down and watch it with the kids too.  It's hilarious, inappropriate, informative but family friendly at the same time.  It's everything I miss about British TV.  If you have kids, I highly recommend watching it with them, you can get some episodes on Amazon Prime or you can buy some of the books, which are also fabulous.  Who knows, you too might learn something, I do every time I watch it :) 






 


No comments:

Post a Comment