Friday, April 17, 2015

7 things

I would like to share some new (to me) things this week. 

Number 1:

My Washington license plates!  No more Scottish flag on the front of my car (sniff), but I guess I won't be so easily recognized on the road any more, which probably isn't a bad thing when I may be having a bad driving day. 

Number 2:

A bunch of reusable shopping bags.  Recycling rules here and I'm getting used to it already.  I used to reuse my plastic grocery bags for poop patrol, but they weren't always reliable, if you know what I mean.  I now buy proper poop bags and don't have to worry about getting poop in my fingernails ever again (true story).   

Number 3:

Bear Spray!!!  Yes, yes, I know I'll probably never need it, but we plan on taking a lot of hikes around here with the kiddos, and you just never know.  Better safe than sorry! 

Number 4:


My brand spanking new bear proof trash can with a locking lid!  Because it's been a warm spring, bear activity has been pretty high around our neighborhood and the surrounding area.  Do I want to get arrested for feeding bears from my trash can?  No sir.  I would rather pay the extra $4 a month for a locking lid to keep my furry friends away. 

Number 5:

Strange (to us) snacks.  I'm in the healthy mecca of America, so I may as well jump on the bandwagon!  I even made raw brownies last week, strange tasting at first, but the whole pan was gone in a day so they were actually pretty good.   No photo of those because they were eaten so quickly!

Number 6:

Every time I look out the window and see this in the yard, I jump because I think it's a bloody bear or something.  It's the husband's shiny new smoker/bbq/thingy and it's absolutely massive.  I have absolutely no idea how it works or what it does.  I only know that it eats wood pellets that look kinda like gerbil food.  The husband assures me I will be enjoying delicious smoked meats soon, perhaps if I'm lucky, it will also do the laundry or help the kids with their homework.

Number 7:

Homework.  In Tennessee, the kids' school had a no homework policy which I absolutely loved.  The kids had lots of time to play outside with their friends and time to do their after school activities.  Here, however, my youngest especially seems to have quite a lot.  I have always had an aversion to maths (sorry America, still can't call it math), so let me tell you people, I've nearly been brought to tears this week by 2nd Grade geometry.  Thankfully my kids are cleverer than me, but I'm glad it's the weekend tomorrow and NO HOMEWORK!!!

So that's it from beautiful Washington for now.  The weather is going to be nice all weekend - it really doesn't rain here all the time - and we're going to go hiking with my bear spray :)  We did a fantastic trail last weekend at Mailbox Peak, which is a mere 20 minutes from the house.  Here are a couple of photos for you.


I am truly astounded by the beauty of this place every time I leave the house and I really can't believe we live somewhere so beautiful!  Livin' the dream baby... well, apart from the homework! 

No comments:

Post a Comment